Warning Cookies are used on this site to provide the best user experience. If you continue, we assume that you agree to receive cookies from this site. OK

How to protect your holiday from no-deal Brexit

by Chris Meeten
Brexit & Travel In Europe

Millions of Britons are preparing to book their summer holidays — and plenty of them will be in Europe after March 29.

As Brexit day approaches here are some of the laws which will change if no deal is agreed and what that means for your travel planning.

Driving The government has warned that, in the event of a no deal Brexit, your “driving licence may no longer be valid by itself”. Drivers would be forced to buy an international driving permit to drive on the continent. Permits cost £5.50 from the Post Office, but applying can be a lengthy process as different EU countries are signed up to different treaties. For example, a trip to Spain through France would require drivers to apply for two permits. The National Audit Office predicts that between 100,000 and seven million international driving permits would need to be issued in the first year after Brexit.

Passports Your passport will remain valid, but the government advises that Britons travelling to the European Union after Brexit will need at least six months’ validity on their passport. It has launched an online tool that allows travellers to check if their document will be valid. Travel experts warn that a surge in passport applications could cause a backlog for people renewing, while at European airports British travellers would be required to enter using the third-country nationals’ queue.

Flight delay compensation British travellers are at present protected by comprehensive EU laws that ensure compensation if a delay or cancellation is the fault of the airline. Under EU261, how much you get back depends on the length of a delay and distance of a flight. Exactly how delay compensation will work after Brexit is as yet unknown, but the government says that “the UK will not fall below current standards of protection when we leave the EU”.

Travel insurance Travellers are well covered in Europe by the blue European Health Insurance (Ehic) card. It covers a portion, if not all, of the cost of receiving treatment. The government is confident that it will reach a reciprocal agreement with EU member states to allow the system to continue, but until such a time, if the UK leaves without a deal the card will cease to be valid on March 29. A good travel insurance policy would be more vital than ever.

Pet passports Travelling with a pet is likely to become more complicated. The exact requirements depend on the status of the UK within the pet travel scheme after exiting the EU. If granted “Part 2 listed status”, your pet passport would become invalid and be replaced by a pet health certificate which a vet would need to issue before every trip. The certificate is valid only for ten days, unlike the passport, which is cat present valid for life. If the UK is given unlisted, third-country status, owners would need to visit their vet at least four months prior to travel.

Risky flights (some new routes for 2019) Gatwick-Kos, BA Birmingham-Pula, Jet2 Gatwick- Dusseldorf, Easyjet Edinburgh-Corfu, Jet2 Glasgow-Naples, Jet2 Bristol-Seville, Ryanair Southend-Sofia, Easyjet Stansted-Lviv, Ryanair Luton-Athens, Ryanair Southend-Alicante, Ryanair London City-Split, BA Gatwick-Jerez, EasyJet


No posts found

Write a review